Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Olives

On Monday Janna and I got to return to one of our favorite restaurants: Olives. Olives is located in the Gas Light Village in East Grand Rapids. In any event, the atmosphere is hip and pottery barn industrial. The food is outstanding. The only problem is the arrogance of those who live in East but I seem to fit in fine with them.

We've been to Olives on several occasions, so much so that we have favorite dishes. Janna raves about the Chicken Vesuvio. I am fond of the shrimp linguine in a lovely white wine butter sauce. I've had the braised short ribs before and they are also quite excellent as is the rigatoni. If you're a fan of soup Olives is the place for you, they always have a great homemade soup. We've had their beef noodle and tomato soup before and they're both quite excellent. The homemade noodles are wonderful and they serve their soup with grilled bread which is a lovely added touch.

On Monday I talked Janna into trying something different. I told her she would love the loaded baked potato which was loaded with lobster, fresh herbs and served with a brandy cream sauce. It took some prodding but she finally agreed to get it and what do you know she loved it. The lobster was sweet and succulent and the brandy cream sauce was apparently to die for. Needless to say, Janna was well pleased with her dinner.

I started my meal off with a bowl of their gumbo. I'm a big fan of gumbo and this one was not quite up to par. It was more of a spicy soup than it was a gumbo, had they advertised it as such it would have been top notch. But it was advertised as a gumbo and frankly it tasted as though there were no roux in it at all. My other complaint is that the sausage was way over cooked and thus dry and mealy. For my main course I decided that I didn't want to go hog wild so I got their wimpy burger which is served as three mini burgers with bacon and bleu cheese. The burgers were perfectly cooked and the bacon and bleu cheese added a wonderful kick. My only complaint is that the buns were soft bready creatures that tasted as though they had been purchased from the D&W across the street.

Olives is a solid restaurant with good service and good food. The menu is generally pretty innovative and I can't argue with the presentation of any of their dishes. They are plated beautifully. Olives is a solid 2 star and with a little upgrade would make a wonderful 3 star selection.

16 comments:

Joy said...

Does Olive's have highchairs?

Mark said...

They must at least have boosters if these two ate there... oh, snap!

Anonymous said...

So, I have a coupon for Olives and Louis Benton...which should we go to for our anniversary? Or do you have somewhere better to recommend? I want to try somewhere I haven't been yet. And, what is that dessert place you rave about? Does it have Janna-like cheesecake?

Thanks :)

steveandjanna said...

Louis Benton is more formal than Olives and is exclusively a steakhouse. Olives is less expensive with more contemporary cuisine. My suggestion: Go with Olives for dinner and swing downtown to La Dolce Vida for desert. But, um, don't go with the cheesecake down there, go with something like their Ganache and Caramel-Cocoa Nib Ice Cream Terrine, French Lemon Tart with Orange Blossom Water Cream or if you're lucky they'll have chocolate lavender cake.

As for hi-chairs at Olives, we didn't ask.

steveandjanna said...

http://www.thechophouserestaurant.com/pages/dolcevita.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I do enjoy steak... a lot...but I will see what Nathan thinks. We are okay with formal, as we will not have any kids needing highchairs with us. :) As for dessert, if I can't have cheesecake, then I need something very, very chocolatey. No fruity...lemon or orange or any of that.

Okay, well we shall see!

steveandjanna said...

I haven't been to Louis Benton in several years, I thought it was overrated at the time but they may very well have improved since then.

As for La Dolce Vita I had their chocolate melt cake with frozen peanut butter souffle and it was out of this world. Janna had their special feature of the night, a chocolate lavender cake which was amazing.

NPE said...

It is funny that YOU notice the arrogance of those that live in East. I would love to live there, but when I am around a few of these people I get so annoyed. You can only talk about who has what and what vacations you have been on for so long!

I am glad that I am not the only one! Is Okomos that way? I know that Lyd's family in Indian Head Park is that way....

Thanks for the tips on where to take Lyd for our anniversary, I was going to do the 2 for $4 fish deal at Long John Silver (jk)

steveandjanna said...

I didn't really grow up in Okemos, my family didn't move there until I was 16. In any event, Okemos has about 2-3 nice neighborhoods and that's about it, at best it's new money as Lansing doesn't have any old money.

Mrs. P said...

Justin and I went to Louis Benton last year or so and it was a huge disappointment. Plus the people were snotty and it was not my kind of atmosphere.

I'd say Olives and Dolce for sure!

steveandjanna said...

If you're going to go to a steakhouse, go to the Grand Rapids Chop House. You'll throw down $175 on dinner but you'll actually get good food and service. Considering that Louis Benton is probably going to set you back $120, I'd rather save my pennys for an extra two months and have one wonderful meal than have two dinners out at disappointing places.

Anonymous said...

There is a really great place in holland, called "butches dry dock" or something like that. That is a cool place. They only set you back 60 or so!

I think it has the Aaron R. stamp of "quality".

Anonymous said...

I guess we will have to try Olives. Dessert depends on time. Not that snotty people stop me from going places. I can easily ignore them or just feel sorry for them. And, just let us remember, that just because one is rich, drives a nice car, wears fancy clothes, etc, does not make them snotty or pretentious. I know plenty of rich and kind, loving people. Christians sometimes think they are better than others (and even better Christians) if they live this "poor" and "simple" life. We are called to be good stewards, and some Christians are so blessed to have wealth. May they use it to God's glory!

:o)

steveandjanna said...

I have found that those who think all rich people are pretentious or arrogant usually are jealous and covet such riches themselves. Most folks with a bit of dough are nice folks who's worst offense is daring to drive a nice car where the arrogant and jealous poor can see them.

NPE said...

Oh shut up Birn and Lydia.... ;)


You are both right.

Mark said...

If y'all can spend $150 on a dinner, you can surely afford to donate some money to the Human Fund. Yes, the Human Fund, the greatest charity in the existence of the world. I happen to be the local rep., so just make your checks out to me and I'll see to it that the money gets to where it's supposed to be.