Sunday, November 11, 2007

Stuart had the opportunity to attend his first Griffins game last night. He enjoyed watching the game, yes he actually watched what was going. He seems to also enjoy staring at other people. It's a nasty habit but for a six month old we'll put up with it.
The Griffins lost to the Toronto Marlies last night. They looked terrible all night, the Marlies were clearly the better team. The Griffins didn't hustle, never made any plays until the last few minutes of the game when it was out of reach.
The Griffins are great fun and it's one of the few places we can take him to without worrying about his squawking or his protests annoying other people. It's so loud at the game, no one notices a squawking or crying baby. We can't take him to nice restaurants and we don't like to take him to evening church because these things all occur at his bedtime. At bedtime Stuart tends to make a lot of noise and in these other settings it wouldn't be fair to other customers or worshipers for us to have a noisy child there to annoy them. That said, until the third period Stuart didn't cry at all. He made plenty of noise but he didn't cry until the end. I was impressed, I probably shouldn't be though.
Earlier this week I had to go to Ann Arbor. I hate Ann Arbor, not simply because the evil empire is located there. Ann Arbor is a pain to get to, it's a pain to operate in. The only redeeming quality of the whole place is Zingerman's Deli. I got us some lovely things for an antipasto platter. Above is a terrific crusty Italian bread. I have yet to find a decent bakery here in Grand Rapids that sells crusty bread. Everyone makes soft breads, the kind you can squeeze into a ball and throw at your kid sister, as Ina Garten would say.
I got some wonderful salami's and some prosciutto di parma. I have no idea what any of the salami's were, I forgot to take good notes. One had fennel seed, another was spicy and the third was absolutely wonderful, whatever was in it. Anyway, we had a lovely antipasto dinner.
And finally, you can see Stuart was unamused at the Griffins poor play Saturday. We have 9 games left to go with our 10 game season ticket package, I'm sure Stuart will get to see a victory at some point.

3 comments:

Janna said...

You forgot to mention that Stuart is SIX MONTHS OLD!!!!!!!!

Mrs. P said...

Janna, WHERE DID YOUR BABY go? Who is this little stranger? (cute, but not a baby anymore!)

Steve, have you tried the Wealthy Street Bakery by my parent's house? They might have something decent.

Mark said...

Y'know, the way I see it, if it's bread you can throw it at people. The soft/hard factor isn't really an issue. Remind me to throw a roll at Janna next time I'm at your place.