Saturday, June 16, 2007

Our Trip To Chicago

We just got back from a weekend in beautiful Chicago. We had a lot of fun with Stuart and my folks. Stuart was very well behaved the entire time, barely raising a fuss at all.
We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel on Michigan Ave. The hotel used to be an athletic club, it was built in the late 20's. It has a pool on the 14th floor, which at the time was an engineering accomplishment.
There are a bunch of restored meeting rooms and ballrooms in the hotel, including the King Arthur room. Janna is seen here with one of the armed men protecting the King Arthur room from peasants such as herself.
Friday we went to see the Cubs play the San Diego Padres. As I'm sure many of you know, the Cubs are my National League team. I try to make it out to Wrigley Field at least once a year, Friday marked both Janna and Stuart's first Cubs game.
Speaking of Stuart, this was not only his first Cubs game but it was his first baseball game. We couldn't take his stroller out to Wrigleyville so Janna bought a sling to wear and carry Stuart around in for the game. For the purposes of the game, it made sense but I can't imagine wearing children like this on a regular basis. First of all, Stuart didn't like being forced up against Janna when he was awake, we would rather be free to move around. Second, I can't imagine these things are good for the back and while this product claimed it was ok for the back, Janna will attest to something different.
And so the game began. Stuart really enjoyed himself and was a perfect little baby, barely making any noise at all. He spent some time watching the game with his grandparents, as well as his father. I tried to teach him the finer points of the game.
Above we see a statue of Harry Carry, the late broadcaster for the Cubs. He sang Take Me Out To The Ballgame during the 7th inning stretch when he was alive, he was quite a character. In any event, the tradition continues and on Friday John Mahoney sang.
Janna actually had a good time at the game. I knew she would. For those who haven't been to Wrigley Field, it's like stepping back into 1920. The neighborhood is unique and a lot of fun. In any event, Janna and Stuart both enjoyed their first Cubs game.
Now, for those of you wondering where my food reviews are I promise I'll post them soon. We have reviews of several places, including a review of Tru written by Janna. All I'll say is that Tru was fabulous. You'll have to keep checking back for further updates.

9 comments:

Joy said...

Steve, how could you snap (let alone post on your blog) a photo of the sign at Wrigley Field advertising for State Farm? The folks at Auto Owners would be aghast! I do love the last pic, though, of Janna and Stuart - she is adorable!
I'm glad you had a great time and grateful that you were brought home safely!

steveandjanna said...

Well, like a good neighbor... My firm does State Farm work, so I have no objection to posting anything with their name on. My dad may have something else to say. And I totally agree, the last pic of Janna and Stuart is excellent.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a great time! What an adorable sling... I'll bet Stuart loved snuggling up with his mamma.

steveandjanna said...

Like I said, he hated it. The minute he got up he wanted free of that straitjacket. I can't imagine forcing children to stay in one of those things, it seems to me little more than selfish on the part of the mother and stifling to the baby's desire for an amount of freedom.

Rachel said...

Sure it made sense! I love having the option of a sling when a stroller is just not going to work. It sure saves the arms even if it does the back no favors. :) When Stuart gets older, he may tolerate facing outward in the sling with his arms free.

steveandjanna said...

Stuart wants his legs free more than anything else. The sling isn't going to be used all that often, I don't understand these people who use them all the time.

An Eshelman said...

Were any cows injured in the making of that sling?

Rachel said...

Well, if you want a sling that leaves the legs free, and it won't used all that often, I would recommend a Baby Bjorn. You can find them on Ebay and occasionally they show up at kid resale shops. They aren't great for the back, either, though.

steveandjanna said...

It probably isn't worth it to buy another one, the fact is Janna was never going to wear that thing very often. We got it for the sole purpose of wearing to the Cubs game. Maybe he'll go to a football game this fall and we'll use it again but I don't think the plan was to ever use that sling very often.